Why is FreeBSD so SLOW?

Jalle defacto at home.se
Wed Apr 23 14:12:42 PDT 2003

Hi again!

I feel I must thank everyone for all the great answers I recieved regarding
my slow FreeBSD machine! THANKS!

Anthony: Sorry, I totally forgot to write that I was using 4.8, but Ill
keep that in mind 'til next time I try out 5.0

Miguel Mendez: Blatant troll?!? Moahahaha! Gotta remember that, sorry me
poor English! Patches, patches?!? We don't need no stinking patches!!! ;o)

Jan Grant: You requested feedback, here goes; options HZ=1000 did little or
no difference to my system, but if it wasn't for you I wouldn't even have
tried it in the first place! =o)

Stijn Hoop: Added that and a little more to the kernel and make.conf. Works
like a charm!

Antoine Jacoutot: I tried that, but I can't really seem to make it
happen... Thanks anyway!

Vallo Kallaste: I know! Strange, isn't it? =o)

Lucas Holt: Yeah, well, I already stripped my kernel bigtime, and I agree
that it makes WAY difference. Just like making world did! I figured that I
could use Gnome2 and/or KDE3, and it would have almost the performance of
Windows, but I guess I was wrong! =o) However, I mainly use Blackbox or
Enlightenment. Class for NULL! Bah! =o)

Last but greatest... Rob: You did it! I never even thought of that! I can't
believe it! THANKS! =o) Never thought the dri/drm would make that much
difference!

Now I run my 4.8 just as fast as Linux ever did, with Enlightenment (e16 or
e17) and the movies are as smooth as ever! Performance in X was greatly
improved with the http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/ stuff!

That's it! No more Linux, no more Windows... though I'm kinda curious about
Mac OS X, only I don't have a mac, so I guess I'll stick to E!

See ya!
/Jalle

Kristofer "Jalle" Jarl

defacto at home.se