Why is FreeBSD so SLOW?

Vallo Kallaste kalts at estpak.ee
Wed Apr 23 04:59:59 PDT 2003

Jalle wrote:

> > I have a Pentium III 450 MHz with 320 MB RAM, a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold
> > and a Matrox G400 MAX video card. I know, this is not top-of-the-line
> > hardware, but that doesn't mean that it should run three or four (or more)
> > times faster under Linux, right?
> > So, to the point! I like FreeBSD (I prefer using FBSD before Windows or
> > Linux), and I would like to keep using it. But if I can't watch a movie or
> > use a decent file manager I will have to switch to Linux. Oh yeah, BTW, is
> > there really NO WAY of getting simultaneous sounds in FreeBSD?!? I think
> > that's kinda crappy. I mean MS did it, why can't we?

My old 400Mhz PII with 380MB of memory and Matrox G200 (8MB) was
enough to play every movie I did encounter. Not while building
something, but that was because of running -current which has known
problems. The stable branch is much smoother. It's quite surprising
to me you can't watch movies, you have very good video card and both
enough memory and processor cycles.
--

Vallo Kallaste