floppy drive problem

Malcolm Kay Malcolm.Kay at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 22 21:46:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:22, Chris Pockele wrote:

> > > Incorrect use of dd.
>
> Indeed, this was just a mistake that got copy-pasted along :).
>
> > Notice all Chris's commands address a ufs partition, and the errors come
> > from fd0c -- again a ufs concept. The disk is not set up with ufs but
> > FAT12 so these do not exist.
>
> Using fd0a instead of fd0 works fine on another machine.
> And doesn't fd0c mean "the whole disk" anyway?

I stand corrected, looking at output from:
# ls -l /dev/fd0*
I see that fd0 and fd0a to fd0h all have same major/minor device numbers.

I still have some difficulty believing there is a hardware fault; but could
accept the idea of some hardware peculiarity that FreeBSD does not
allow for. To my mind the messages under linux seem to support the
possibility; but obviously I'm now well outside my region of competance.

Malcolm