Promise RAID card?

Chris McGee chris at xecu.net
Tue Apr 22 12:30:58 PDT 2003

Sorry to bother you, but I'm trying to narrow down this problem.  With
your SX6000 are you using the Promise hot swappable hard drive enclosures
that are included in the SX6000 Pro package?  Those enclosures only show
up as ATA33 when i hook them up to the motherboard's ATA100/133
controller.  So are you using those?

Chris

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> --On 17 April 2003 11:53 -0400 Chris McGee <chris at xecu.net> wrote:
>

> > Has anyone successfully used the Promise SX6000 card with FreeBSD 4.7?  If
> > so, what kind of configuration are you using?
>
> Hmmm... A -hardware question :)
>
> I have one in an AMD Athlon 1Ghz system, with a bunch of 80Gb IDE's hanging
> off it w/128Mb of RAM - using RAID5... It uses the pst driver.
>
> Generally seems OK, though theres a couple of us with them that get pst:
> timeout messages every now and again mostly when under heavy I/O load [and
> the whole machine hangs until the request is retried].
>
> I'm just moving the machine with the card to 4.8-S but it doesn't look like
> anything's been committed to the driver that would fix it...
>
> Other than the random pauses under load, I've not had any problems with it.
> The other person with the timeouts reported getting panics as well - but
> that could be because he had root/swap on it - whereas I just have it as a
> RAID5 '/usr2' volume.
>
> If you do a search of the archives you'll probably find the thread(s)
> covering it.
>
> -Kp

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chris McGee                             301-682-9972
Xecunet	                                www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access