Free BSD cannot find SBPCD for Panasonic CDROM drive. It can't find the CDROM!

Willie Viljoen will at unfoldings.net
Tue Apr 22 03:58:11 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 12:37, someone, possibly MyRealBox, typed:
> Has anyone in your group done this?  I would like to keep on using this
> machine since it is built like a tank, and has run all these years, for
> weeks at a time, without any breakdown.  It still has a lot of life left
> in it.

Depending on who actually built the drive (Panasonic just rebranded them as
far as I remember), you will need either the scd(4) or mcd(4) drivers.
These however are not included in the GENERIC kernel that comes on the
FreeBSD boot disks.

A better approach would be to network install it. The Linksys network card
will be the one of choice. Every generic NE2000 had either jumper
configuration, or, if it was plug and play, a utility to do jumperless
configuration in non-PnP systems. Try looking at the card for serial
numbers, then search for this (Google will do), and find the utility. It
will be an old MS-DOS program that will fit comfortably on one floppy. Boot
with that and tune the network card to some IO/IRQ parameters that you
like.

Then boot BSD and choose to enter full screen kernel configuration. Now set
up the NE2000 driver to the same IO/IRQ, and you will be on your way.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant