login.conf and NIS

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Tue Apr 22 02:55:38 PDT 2003

Hi !

There's a question which I can't seem to find an answer for.
I'm using NIS for authentication around my network, and I would like to be
able to use login.conf so I could tune some options depending on user
classes.
My problem is that it works only if users log directly on the server, but not
when using there workstation and authenticating through NIS. It looks like
login.conf has to be edited on all machines and not only on the server...

So my question is:
- can I make clients use the NIS server's login.conf ?
- is login.conf able to be distributed as a NIS map around workstations ?

Thanks in advance.

Antoine