fbsd in bootmenu XP

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Mon Apr 21 00:49:37 PDT 2003

On 19 Apr Jud wrote:
> This is as good a place as any to note that the FAQ language re using
> the Win bootloader when FreeBSD and NT/2K/XP are on different disks
> has always been unclear to me, sufficiently so that I haven't tried
> it:
>
> "If FreeBSD is installed on the same disk as the NT boot partition
> simply copy /boot/boot1 to C:\BOOTSECT.BSD However, if FreeBSD is
> installed on a different disk /boot/boot1 will not work, /boot/boot0
> is needed.
>
> "Warning: DO NOT SIMPLY COPY /boot/boot0 INSTEAD OF /boot/boot1, YOU
> WILL OVERWRITE YOUR PARTITION TABLE AND RENDER YOUR COMPUTER
> UN-BOOTABLE!  /boot/boot0 needs to be installed using sysinstall by
> selecting the FreeBSD boot manager on the screen which asks if you
> wish to use a boot manager.  This is because /boot/boot0 has the
> partition table area filled with NULL characters but sysinstall copies
> the partition table before copying /boot/boot0 to the MBR.
>
> "When the FreeBSD boot manager runs it records the last OS booted by
> setting the active flag on the partition table entry for that OS and
> then writes the whole 512-bytes of itself back to the MBR so if you
> just copy /boot/boot0 to C:\BOOTSECT.BSD then it writes an empty
> partition table, with the active flag set on one entry, to the MBR."
>
> I've done a workaround instead: install FreeBSD so the root partition
> is on the same disk as Windows, and use the boot1=BOOTSECT.BSD method.
> But I certainly wouldn't mind a clearer explanation of how to use the
> NT/2K/XP bootloader when the FreeBSD slice is entirely on a separate
> disk from Windows.  "Clearer" to me means, once boot0 is installed
> using sysinstall (to both disks or one?), what goes in the the Win
> bootloader to boot FreeBSD?  Or does the Win bootloader Just Work(tm)
> at that point?

I quote your message cause I can't seem to find it on the fbsd-Q list
and I like this problem solved too. Sure you can use an alternate
bootloader like grup, but I don't want to if not needed. It must be
possible to have fbsd on de 2th harddisk and to let the winXP loader
handle the booting of fbsd. All I need is some kind of "copy of the mbr"
(as I understand) to put this as a file on C:\FBSD.WHATEVER and put it
in the XP-loader.

Does anybody out there has some answers on this?
-(please)-

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)