how can I burn ISO images in FreeBSD 4.8, cd-write port broken?

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at dsl-only.net
Sun Apr 20 22:19:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 12:35:48AM -0400, derik DeVecchio wrote:
> I am sort of a newbie with FreeBSD and I know it must be POSSIBLE to
> burn CD's in FreeBSD (otherwise why have ports for all that CD
> software).  For the record I would prefer to use a GUI in gnome but am
> PERFECTLY willing to use a console app if that is all FreeBSD has to
> offers me or if that kind of application is better for this kind of
> task.  I have examined a number of applications but none of them seem to
> work for one reason or another.

<snip>

> So what do you FreeBSD people out there use to burn your CD's!?  What
> program will allow me to burn a CD from an ISO image?  Or perhaps just
> burn some files out of a directory?  At this point, I can't do either
> with FreeBSD.
>
> derik

Take a look at the burncd(8).  Something like this should work:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 8 data yourimg.iso fixate

or sometimes I just cat the file right onto the disk and then use burncd
to fixate as so:

# cat yourimg.iso > /dev/acd0c
# burncd -f /dev/acd0c data fixate

You can also use burncd to burn audio files to CD.

Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C