Sysinstall and other do not detect disks

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1051119376.2b2248 at mired.org
Fri Apr 18 10:36:18 PDT 2003

In <2E4B9354-71B0-11D7-B917-003065C47B66 at mail.uhs.utexas.edu>, Nathen Hinson <n.hinson at mail.uhs.utexas.edu> typed:
> *atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xfff0-0xffff at device 1.1
> on pci0
> *ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> *ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> *ad0: 1222MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM1280A> [2484/16/63] at ata0-master
> WDMA2
> *ad1: 4121MB <Maxtor 90432D3> [8374/16/63] at ata0-slave WDMA2
>
> As you can see both the drive controllers and the drive themselves are
> detected correctly. The mainboard is a straight up Intel. Oh, and I
> didn't mention this in my previous post but all of this was being done
> as root. I have also included the output of the fdisk that was
> successful on /dev/ad1. Any sort of operations such as readdressing the
> 0 block ( i.e. fdisk -B ) fail with the operation not permitted error
> and or if I apply the -I switch.

What's the securelevel of your system "sysctl kern.securelevel" will
tell you that. I suspect it's to high for you to do the I/O you're
trying to do.

If so, you'll need to lower the secure level to set up the boot block
and partition the disks. You can either edit /etc/rc.conf - look for
securelevel - to lower it and reboot, or reboot to single user mode
and do the work there.

	<mike