freebsd 4.7, 5.0, SMP and hyper-threading

James Schmidt james at JamesSchmidt.Com
Wed Apr 16 13:17:10 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, george donnelly wrote:

> I'm reading up on SMP and I'm wondering about this:
>
> I run an app that is threaded but is not specifically designed to take
> advantage of SMP. Based on my readings about FreeBSD and SMP I think this
> app can still take advantage of SMP because 2 threads can each access one of
> the two CPU's at a given time.
>
> Is this correct?

I'm no expert, but I'd say yes, if the application was designed as a
threaded application.

> Also one on machine i'm running FreeBSD 4.7 with 2  XEON 2.0 processors. Is
> hyper-threading enabled in this situation?

This I feel pretty confident answering, and the answer is 'No', having
recently upgraded my dual Xeon box from 4.7 to 4.8 specifically to take
advantage of the new support for HyperThreading available in 4.8.  I
believe it's possible to get HTT support in 4.7, but it requires a patch
which, If I'm not mistaken, isn't easily installed and not as reliable
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong).