bootloader

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Tue Apr 15 19:18:18 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:06:53PM -0400 or thereabouts, Michael Rasile seemed to write:
> Greetings!
> As a long time linux user thought I'd give FreeBSD a try. Well,
> having trouble with the bootloader. I've reinstalled so many times,
> you'd think I could figure it out. I seem to get confused in the part
> of the CD install that has to do with the bootloader. I use a dual
> boot and I have FreeBSD on my second drive. I have, I think, a good
> install except I can't access it. Is there any way to get FreeBSD to
> load without reinstalling. In my humble opinion, the portion of the
> install that deals with the boot manager is very confusing. Any help
> or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would really like to
> see what FreeBSD is all about.

Depends on whether you use LILO or GRUB to boot linux.
For LILO:
	Boot into linux and add this at the end of /etc/lilo.conf:
	other=/dev/hda2
		label=freebsd

	[ i think ]

For GRUB:
	Get into the grub> prompt, then type this:
		root (hd0,2,a)
		kernel /boot/loader
		boot

YMMV.