SIGNAL 11 ==> core dump

taxman taxman at acd.net
Mon Apr 14 20:25:53 PDT 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 05:05 pm, Joseph Maxwell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a paid service for solving intermittent  FREEBSD problems? Have

I know there are individual consultants that offer this service.  If you don't
get any private responses to this email, I think you will find some comercial
services mentioned somewhere on the FreeBSD homepage. (or at least where to
look)

> been dealing with some problems [Related to: New MBoard & CPU, Upgrade &
> fsck problem(s) etc] for a long time, that was not really worth the
> time, getting extremely scanty or no responses from list.

I find if you ask the question clearly and provide the needed info, it is
quite rare to not get answers.  Make sure to ask questions accurately and
follow Greg's advice at:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

this one may also be of interest:

the reason I send those links is you have not done one or more of those
things.  We don't know what system your running, hardware etc.  You can't
expect us to remember it from other messages.

But you're right--asking on this list requires patience, and if you have an
urgent need for an answer, then a paid service would be more appropriate.
You'll just have to see if the price is worth it for you.  If you lose enough
revenue trying to figure out problems then it may be.

> Hopefully, there will / may be some on this subject.
>
> Finally got fsck to run to completion, All systems reported clean on all
> partitions. On booting, after device probe ==>
> pid 6 (sh), uid 0: exited on SIGNAL 11 (core dump)

As others have said if you're getting this while booting an unmodified FreeBSD
4.x release system, it is highly unlikely that you will find a segfault error
in the software.  They're very likely to have already been found by the point
of a release.  Now if you're running 5.0, -current, or even -stable, that
could be a different story.  But then if you were, you'd have to be willing
to accept some problems due to the nature of those codebases.

> Apr 12 23 57:13 init /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
> single user mode
> Enter full pathname or RETURN for /bin/sh
>

> Interestingly enough 'shutdown -p now' goes to a reboot and after
> rebooting comes back up with a
> '/ was not properly dismantled'
>
> What is the best method for doing a 'core debug' with BSD?

Well you've really got to understand the kernel to use the debugging tools to
figure issues out, but getting the beginings of a coredump analysis going can
help others help you sometimes.  There are instructions for that in the
developers handbook.

Tim