SIGNAL 11 ==> core dump

Louis LeBlanc leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org
Sun Apr 13 20:43:07 PDT 2003

On 04/13/03 05:34 PM, Kliment Andreev sat at the `puter and typed:
> > What is the best method for doing a 'core debug' with BSD. Which is
> > SIGNAL 11, is it SIGSEGV?
>
> Signal 11 usually means that something is wrong with your hardware settings.
> Check all IRQ conflicts. If there aren't any, probably something is wrong
> with the memory.

Uh, don't I wish.  Any C or C++ program that tries to dereference a
null pointer, overwrite the end of a buffer, or free memory that has
already been freed can easily cause a signal 11.  And they aren't
always easy to track down either.

But yeah.  Hardware is usually the problem if you're talking about
different processes going SEGV without any discernable pattern.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

snappy repartee:
  What you'd say if you had another chance.