Stress-test script

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 14 19:13:25 PDT 2003

Jonas wrote:
> I have a 4.7 server that have been freezing up under moderate load. I
> have changed some hardware and done a BIOS upgrade and would like to
> stress-test the server.
>
> Does anyone have a script or some command I can issue that would really
> stress the server?

I usually do a "make buildworld" as that stresses pretty much everything
at once (aside from the network, unless you have the /usr/src directory
NFS mounted)
There are also programs for stressing specific parts of the system:
memtest, cpuburn and bonnie++ (I know that bonnie++ is for measuring
performance, but I've found that it works well as a stress test for hard
drives as well)

If you really want to push it, try all four running at once for a few
hours ... that oughta prove the machine.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies