E-mail Scam, Addressess being collected of mailing list::Advice Requested

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Mon Apr 14 10:45:41 PDT 2003

>FWIW, spammers don't use "their" servers any more. They break into other
>peoples computers to use. It's the only way they can deal with servers
at >large ISPs that shut them off after so many messages. They switch IPs
>almost instantly after the connection is shut down. That's also how the
>beat blacklisting IP addresses.

They don't even use their own or fake email addresses anymore.  The latest
twist is to mine legitimate addresses, and send the spam out with those
forged as the From: and Reply To: headers.  The actual content of the spam
then provides a web address to contact for further info.

This has happened several times with my Hotmail account so far (which I
use exclusively for Usenet postings).  I found out when I started getting
bounce messages from the targeted recipient's mail servers.  The bounced
messages were totally bogus; they weren't sent from Hotmail's servers and
had my Hotmail account forged in for the sender addresses.

KeS