Can't get the mount_smbfs to work with password.

Nakal nakal at web.de
Sun Apr 13 11:15:25 PDT 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 18:43, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> Dear list!
>
> I have no problem mounting a windows xp share using the mount_smbfs
> method, but I always get a password prompt.
>
> The man file mentions the .nsmbrc that should be placed either in ~/
> or /usr/local/etc named .nsmbrc resp. nsmb.conf
>
> I have configured those files as the examples outlines but still it
> won't work. Is this an issue anyone else has got?

I have also this problem, but I've found a workaround. I suppose You are
trying to mount directly from /etc/fstab. That does not work for me, either,
but it is possible to execute the mount_smbfs including the parameter '-I
<hostname>' at boot time (e.g. in rc.local) or manually. Keep Your nsmb.conf
like it is. You will need the password specified there, of course.

>From the man-page:
     -I host
             Do not use NetBIOS name resolver and connect directly to host,
             which can be either a valid DNS name or an IP address.

If You find a way how to specify the '-I' option for /etc/fstab, tell me
please. (Perhaps I am doing something wrong, too. I don't know.)