kde3.1.1 on fbsd4.8

Matthias Szupryczynski silk_worm at gmx.net
Sat Apr 12 03:46:47 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 12:28, Willie Viljoen wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2003 12:17, someone, possibly Dick Hoogendijk, typed:
> > In other words: what is the best approach to update X, QT and KDE after
> > my upping 4.7r to 4.8 ??

<snip>

> If you have a really fast connection, a fast CPU for compiling, and lots of
> disk space, and, you are insane, you can also upgrade your *ENTIRE* system
> with:
>
> portupgrade -arR
>
> Go on holiday after issuing this command.

Hi Dick,

just in case you want to give this a try, here's my experience with
portupgrade -arR.

I have got about 400 packets installed on my FreeBSD 5.0p7 (standard
gnome2 / XFree86 desktop pc with applictions like evolution, galeon,
openoffice and acroread), running on a Duron 1300 with 512 MB Ram, 5 GB
of free hd space and a DSL internet connection (about 90 kb/s
downstream).

Took my system about 39 hours to complete the procedure.

Cheers

Matt