problem with installkernel upgrading from 4.6.2 release to 5.0 release

taxman taxman at acd.net
Thu Apr 10 18:48:47 PDT 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 09:21 pm, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 04/10/03 09:02 PM, taxman sat at the `puter and typed:
> > On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:56 pm, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > > Hey all.  I'm trying to upgrade a system from RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE to
> > > RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE.  And I'm having a little trouble.
> >
> > I'm not sure that's even a supported upgrade path yet.  There are plans
> > for the 4.x-Release upgrade to 5.1 and 5.2 releases to be supported, but
> > like i said, perhaps not to 5.0.  5.0 was never meant as a production
> > release.
>
> Then why is it tagged as release?

That's answered in the link I sent you, and/or in the links in it.

> > > <SNIP>
> >
> > I believe because the kernel is in slightly different location in 5.0 and
> > since you're running the old world (because installworld failed), it is
> > looking in the old place and finding the old kernel and booting fine.
> >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Make installworld again and you should have 5.0 release upon reboot.
> > You probably don't wan't 5.0 release.  You may, but at least read:
> > http://mired.org:8080/5.0-not-production.html
> >
> > Tim
>
> I'm starting to think I'm confused about the version I should be
> running.  I want an environment that I can use as a reliable desktop,
> server, etc..  I am also hoping to start working on some java/JNI
> development, and though I might be imagining it, I thought I read
> somewhere that native java support was going to be better in 5.x.
>
> Should I go to the stable branch?  If so, what is the tag that will
> give me the latest and most stable OS?

Depends on whether latest or most stable is more important.  The latest
relasease from the stable branch (4.8 Release as of now) will likely satisfy
what you're looking for.  If you'd like a little more of the latest, then
update along the 4-stable path more often.

Read the other link i sent and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

Should help answer for your needs.

Your upgrade procedure was nearly perfect by the way.  Just reboot after the
installkernel and you might have gotten it to work.
Anyway, have fun

Tim