question about freebsd install

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 10 16:30:57 PDT 2003

[I'm sure I'm not the only one whow would appreciate it if you'd wrap your lines
around 72 characters or so]

bert01 wrote:
> HEllo,
>
> I'm installing freebsd 5.0 from the boot discs... Everything goed fine, but my
 > network card 's driver is not attached, now I have a disc with my network card
 > and on that disc there's a map "freebsd" in that map There are 3 files:
> IF_FET.C
> if_fetreg.h
> readme.txt
> -> they are attached to this email
>
> Now how can I make my ethernet work so I can install freebsd with ftp?

I don't think you can.
These instructions assume that you already have FreeBSD installed and you're
adding support for this driver after the install.
There are a number of ways you could do it:
1) Install FreeBSD on another computer and use this disk to compile a custom
    kernel and make a custom boot disk.  The steps involved in doing this are
    beyond the scope of this email and (unfortunately) I don't know of a howto
    on the Internet anywhere to point you to.
2) Download a FreeBSD iso image on another computer, burn a CD, install off it
    and then follow the instructions in the install.txt to get the network card
    working.
3) Purchase an "official" FreeBSD CD and follow the instructions in #2
4) Throw a different network card in the machine, install FreeBSD, then put
    the other network card back in, then follow the install instructions to
    get it working.

Hope one of these methods works for you.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies