USB Printer

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1050080343.49c58b at mired.org
Sun Apr 6 09:59:06 PDT 2003

In <20030406161652.GA4518 at freshaire.wiz.com>, Marc Wiz <marc at wiz.com> typed:
> Now here comes the interesting part since I figured it would be a
> good idea to start debugging this with a simple setup (no printer
> spooler, etc.)  I have tried to do echo "hello there" > /dev/ulpt0
> and nothing happens.
> It takes about 30 seconds before the command ends.

This was interpreted as meaning that this was a winprinter. However...

> If I try the echo using Linux the printer works just fine.  I.e. a page is
> printed with "hello there".

That's not good. That sounds like it isn't a winprinter, but the
driver is just not working.

> The code is compiled into the kernel (not a module)
>
> Any suggestions as to how to proceed?  Are there any driver debug options
> that can be enabled either for USB or the printer code?

You can enable USB_DEBUG at kernel build time, then use "gdb -k" to
set ulptdebug in ulpt.c to positive values - increasing values get you
increasing levels of debug information.

	<mike