FreeBSD Port/Distribution Installation

David Banning david at skytracker.ca
Sat Apr 5 13:41:15 PST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:44:20PM +0800, Sukhbinder Singh wrote:
> what do I type at the place for "default:
# or name_of_service_provider" in
These are just names for your ppp to lookup what entries to pay attention
to. If you fire ppp with the simple command "ppp" it will execute
the entries after "default". On the other hand, if you want to
execute another set of settings for ppp, you could put them
after another name that you make up. So I could make active the
settings after pppoe: by executing;

# ppp -ddial -nat pppoe

or

# ppp -ddial -nat default

would execute the settings after default:

or if no name is given, like;

# ppp -ddial

then it goes to the settings under default:

default: # or name_of_service_provider
      set device PPPoE:rl0 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
      set mru 1492
      set mtu 1492
      set authname whatever
      set authkey whatever
      set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
      set dial
      set login
      set ifaddr 209.188.66.29 206.221.248.4
      add default HISADDR
      nat enable yes # if you want to enable nat for your local net

pppoe:
  set device PPPoE:rl0
  set mru 1492
  set mtu 1492
  set speed sync
  enable lqr
  disable vjcomp
  set lqrperiod 5
  set cd 5
  set dial
  set login
  set timeout 0
  set authname whatever
  set authkey whatever
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR

> my ppp.conf file. and also what do I type for the "set ifaddr" field in the
I would copy the one from my pppoe example above.

> ppp.conf file. and where do I type the IP address for my ISP provider or the
> DNS for my ISP provider or the telephone number for my ISP. There has to be
For DSL there is no phone number. You just need your login and password.
Providing you do -not- have a IP static address your box will
find out what the IP address is during the negotiation.
The details of your ppp connection are in /var/log/ppp.log
You can monitor the connection with tail -f /var/log/ppp.log

> a place where I need to type all this information or else how is the xDSL
> modem is going to contact or connect with my ISP. Any help will be helpful.
All the information goes in your ppp.conf, that is, your login and
your password.