Mod_perl nightmares

Hasse webmaster at swedehost.com
Fri Apr 4 03:35:01 PST 2003

On Friday 04 April 2003 03.43, Brent Wiese wrote:
> I have to believe I'm overlooking something simple here, but I'm pulling my
> hair out over this...
>
> I am running 4.5.
>
> I have the latest ports list.
>
> I have installed apache 1.3.27, mod_ssl, mod_php 4.3.1 and mod_perl 1.27.
>
> Previously, it was running the same, minus mod_perl.
>
> Php is fine. I can still happily access my mysql dbs and have fun with php.
>
> However, I cannot get a perl prog to run to save my life.
>
> I don't get any errors with this in my httpd.conf:
> LoadModule perl_module        libexec/apache/libperl.so
> AddModule mod_perl.c
>
> I tried the most basic httpd.conf additions from http://perl.apache.org.
> When I hit the perl cgi w/ my browser, I get asked to download it. The logs
> show a 200 success code.
>
> Execute perms are on the script. All it does is the basic "hello world"
> stuff.
>
> Here is what I added to httpd.conf, first in the specific virtualhost I
> wanted to test this on, then globally, both producing the same results
> (this is nearly word-for-word from the mod_perl site):
>
>     Alias /perl/ /usr/local/www/data/maint/perl/
>     PerlModule Apache::Registry
>     <Location /perl/>
>         SetHandler perl-script
>         PerlHandler Apache::Registry
>         Options +ExecCGI
>         PerlSendHeader On
>         allow from all
>     </Location>
>
> If I insert:
> 	PerlModule Apache::DBI
> Which is ultimately what I need, even an "apachectl configtest" core dumps.
> I installed Apache::DBI from CPAN. I suspect if/when I fix the first
> problem, this one will work too, or at least be more obvious.
>
> Any ideas? Any more info I can provide?
>
> Thanks
> Brent
---------------------
This config is what's working for me.
( This is typed, not cut'n paste, so please check for typos )
Hope it will help.

Edit httpd.conf
( After <Directory "/usr/local/www/data"></Directory> section)

######## Mod_Perl_SetUp ########
<Files ~ "\.pl$">
	Options +ExecCGI +Includes
	SetHandler perl-script
	PerlHandler Apache::Registry
	PerlSendHeader On
</Files>

<Directory /usr/local/www/data/zplash>
	<Files ~ "\.cgi">
		SetHandler perl-script
		PerlHandler Apache::Registry
		PerlSendHeader On
	</Files>
	AllowOverride None
	Options Indexes ExecCGI Includes
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>
And to use SSI and CGI outside of ScriptAliased directories,
I have uncommended the following lines :

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

--