TrueType Fonts under XFree863.3.6

E. J. Cerejo ej.cerejo at laposte.net
Thu Apr 3 17:33:19 PST 2003

When I ran XF 3.3.6 I had truetype fonts working but I only remember
this much on how to configure it.

cd /usr/ports/x11-servers
out of these servers choose the one that relates to your video card, the
driver you chose when you first configured XFree86, you can also find it
in /etc/X11/XF86Config file. CD into that server and install it.

XttXF86srv-3DLabs
XttXF86srv-8514
XttXF86srv-AGX
XttXF86srv-I128
XttXF86srv-Mach32
XttXF86srv-Mach64
XttXF86srv-Mach8
XttXF86srv-Mono
XttXF86srv-P9000
XttXF86srv-S3
XttXF86srv-S3V
XttXF86srv-SVGA
XttXF86srv-VGA16
XttXF86srv-W32
XttXF86srv-common

Then

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
mkdir TrueType

copy all the truetype fonts from your windows machine into
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType

now rename every font to lower case (they have to be lower case or else
  it won't work). At this point you have to install
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/ttmkfdir, after this I think you have to cd into
your TrueType directory and run this command which will create another
file inside that directory, I'm not totally sure about this part though,
maybe someone here can correct me.

the last step is to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config (I don't remember
where this file is under 3.3.6, it might under /etc) and go to font
section, it looks like this:
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

The just add

FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"

put it in third counting from the top line.  See if it works.