PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE error

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:24:42 UTC 2016

On 24 April 2016 at 04:31, Shane Ambler <FreeBSD at shaneware.biz> wrote:

> On 23/04/2016 17:16, Ben Woods wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Does anyone know why PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE is marked as deprecated?
>> It is still used by 9 ports...
>>
>> I am working on an update to multimedia/quodlibet in PR208988, and it
>> gives
>> the warning "PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE is deprecated, please do not use
>> it anymore". However, if I remove that line from the Makefile, the build
>> fails with "error: option  --single-version-externally-managednot
>> recognized".
>>
>> --single-version-externally-managed is added by USES=python if you dont
>> set
>> PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE=yes.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben
>>

> I had that error for some time and when I finally looked into it,
> it turned out an old copy of setuptools was (partly) in place.
> This error also caused entry_points in setup.py to fail.
>
> Look in /usr/local/lib/python${VERS}/site-packages for multiple
> setuptools-**-egg-info folders.
>
> You might have (for py27)
>
> setuptools-20.0-py2.7.egg-info
> setuptools_hg-0.4-py2.7.egg-info
> setuptools_scm-1.10.1-py2.7.egg-info
>
> which is ok, but if you have
>
> setuptools-18.7-py2.7.egg-info
> setuptools-5.4.1-py2.7.egg-info
>
> then you should delete the setuptools-5.4.1-py2.7.egg-info
>
> Check that the old port is not installed - pkg info -ox setuptools
>
> for me the old version of the egg-info dir was an empty dir left behind
> from the old port version and I deleted it manually - no more problem.
>
> Check each python version as it most likely happen to each version
> installed at the time the old version was meant to be removed.
>
> --
> FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing
>
> Shane Ambler

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply.

I have had a look, and there is only 1 version of
setuptools-20.0-py2.7.egg-info in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
So this does not seem to be the issue.

In fact, I think it may be that the setup.py that comes bundled with the
multimedia/quodlibet software does not support
--single-version-externally-managed and therefore requires
PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE=yes?

Is PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLNOSINGLE being deprecated because each piece of
software that comes bundled with setup.py should be updating it to the
latest which supports --single-version-externally-managed ?

Regards,
Ben