ports/176993: math/py-matplotlib/work does not see installed numpy

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 16:30:01 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR ports/176993; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at gmail.com>
To: Vladimir Chukharev <chukharev at mail.ru>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, Vladimir.Chukharev at gmail.com,
 Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at apeiron.net>
Subject: Re: ports/176993: math/py-matplotlib/work does not see installed
 numpy
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:21:35 +0000

 On 03/16/2013 02:04 PM, Vladimir Chukharev wrote:
 > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:19:10 +0200, Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at apeiron.net> wrote:
 >
 >> Hi Vladimir,
 >>
 >> If you start the python interpreter and type "import numpy", what
 >> happens?
 >
 > Yeah, that is it. The last line is
 > ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libalapack.so.2: Undefined symbol
 "cblas_zswap"

 > $ pkg_info -W /usr/local/lib/libalapack.so.2
 > /usr/local/lib/libalapack.so.2 was installed by package atlas-3.8.4_2,1
 >
 > So, I will reinstall atlas with the default options now (that's not fast
 > IIRC...), then matplotlib again, and let you know the results.

 Hope that works for you.

 > BTW, can the message be more clear in your port?

 The message you saw is generated by matplotlib's configuration
 script. You would do best to contact the matplotlib developers if you
 think it should be changed as it is something that would need to be
 modified upstream. I do not think a FreeBSD-only patch is justified.