PowerMac G4 booting from memstick image

Mehul Sanghvi mehul.sanghvi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 05:39:51 UTC 2021

I was able to boot manually using

    boot hd:2,\:tbxi

At that point I changed the /boot/loader.conf removing the kern.smp.disabled statement and than
rebooting.  I was expecting it to drop to the OF prompt but it auto-booted just fine.

But now I have the same issues as when I was installing earlier.  So seems like I have to keep the SMP kernel disabled.

dmesg shows that it saw two CPUs, but when using top, only one is seen (with SMP kernel disabled)

I am going to reboot with SMP disabled, until it is safe to enable it.

Next steps will be getting packages installed from ports.

cheers,

   mehul