Powerpc64 power management control

Jason Bacon bacon4000 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:58:41 UTC 2020

Interestingly, the firmware update did not seem to help with my
PowerMac.  Everything was fine after the first reboot following the
update, but after rebooting again, I got runaway fans again after a few
minutes.

Pondering what might be different on the first boot, I noted two things:

1. The prior boot had been into OS X, so maybe it properly reset some
hardware where FreeBSD fails to?
2. For the first FreeBSD boot, I still had a monitor, keyboard, and
mouse attached from performing the firmware update in OS X. Most of the
time, I run this system headless.

Testing #2 first, I rebooted with and without a monitor a few times.
Every time I boot headless, I get runaway fans.  Every time I boot with
a monitor attached, there's no problem.  I can detach the monitor after
boot without triggering the issue.

Seems like an odd linkage, but perhaps failure of the video driver to
initialize properly is triggering the fan issue?

--
Earth is a beta site.