Probe1:ata1:... keeps resetting/timing out on 12.R install attempt

Chris bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Sat Jun 20 01:57:43 UTC 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:41:28 -0700 bsd-lists at BSDforge.com said

> OK I've got a Dual Proc G4/800Mhz (model 7450) I've been trying desperately
> to get FreeBSD on, since releng/9. But not any success. I just spun up
> the 12.R install media -- both disc1 && DVD1. But it bails on the ATA
> DVD/RW I'm booting from. Always with
> probe1:ata1:0:1:0): CAM status: command timeout
> resets && retries...
> Interestingly; OpenBSD && NetBSD don't do that, and will land at the
> option to install, upgrade, drop to shell.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated.
OK That was annoying -- but telling!
I just spun up a 3yr old copy of Ubuntu Xenial, and the install went
exactly as it should have.
*So* what I've discovered;
Based on the FreeBSD experience (ATA/DVD timeout) and the OpenBSD6
install, which didn't experience that kind of difficulty, and in fact
proceeded to the install. But as soon as it setup the DHCP connection,
and proceeded to the next step; it Hung/Froze.
To me; it smells suspiciously like a timing related issue in the BSD's.
I see just today that Justin Hibbits (sp) is working on something that
looks related to this. But I fear the "low hanging fruit" he indicates
he's working on won't touch my old DP800. :-(

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

--Chris