panic: data storage interrupt trap when building world on PowerMac G5

Jason Bacon bacon4000 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:06:12 UTC 2020

Sort of a shot in the dark, but did you verify that your filesystems are
clean?

UFS2 has an issue where the filesystem doesn't always get cleaned
completely on boot.  Repair using the journal can miss incorrect
reference counts if I remember correctly.  This can cause panics after a
sudden outage like a power failure that leave the FS in a dirty state.

Try booting to single-user mode and running "fsck -fy" on each FS.  If
any of them report errors, this may have been your problem.

     JB

On 2020-01-24 06:36, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> On 24. Jan 2020, at 13:27, Francis Little <oggy at farscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not getting panics, I get similar errors to this:
> I see. Thanks for providing the information.
> I haven't seen such problems (neither userland nor kernelland) on Power9.
>
> Best regards
> Michael
>> cc: error: unable to execute command: Abort trap (core dumped)
>> cc: error: clang frontend command failed due to signal (use -v to see invocation)
>> FreeBSD clang version 9.0.1 (git at github.com:llvm/llvm-project.git c1a0a213378a458fbea1a5c77b315c7dce08fd05) (based on LLVM 9.0.1)
>> Target: powerpc64-unknown-freebsd13.0
>> Thread model: posix
>> InstalledDir: /usr/bin
>> cc: note: diagnostic msg: PLEASE submit a bug report to https://bugs.freebsd.org/submit/ and include the crash backtrace, preprocessed source, and associated run script.
>> cc: note: diagnostic msg:
>> ********************
>>
>> PLEASE ATTACH THE FOLLOWING FILES TO THE BUG REPORT:
>> Preprocessed source(s) and associated run script(s) are located at:
>> cc: note: diagnostic msg: /tmp/addsf3-67691f.c
>> cc: note: diagnostic msg: /tmp/addsf3-67691f.sh
>> cc: note: diagnostic msg:
>>
>> ********************
>> *** [addsf3.o] Error code 254
>>
>> make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libcompiler_rt
>> 1 error
>>
>> make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libcompiler_rt
>> *** [lib/libcompiler_rt__PL] Error code 2
>>
>> make[3]: stopped in /usr/src
>> 1 error
>>
>> make[3]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** [libraries] Error code 2
>>
>> make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
>> 1 error
>>
>> make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** [_libraries] Error code 2
>>
>> make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
>> 1 error
>>
>> make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** [buildworld] Error code 2
>>
>> make: stopped in /usr/src
>>
>> make: stopped in /usr/src
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 21:21, Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen at macmic.franken.de> wrote:
>>> On 23. Jan 2020, at 22:09, Francis Little <oggy at farscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Same here, with smp enabled, fans go full speed every 60 sec, probing
>>> sysctl calms them for a min.
>>>
>>> buf*daemons time out shutting down and buildworlds fail.
>> Could you specify how buildworlds fail? Is the system panic'ing like mine?
>> On a Power9 system, buildworld works without a problem. But the system has
>> much more memory.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Michael
>>> Regards