FreeBSD 12 on Powerbook G4

Justin Hibbits chmeeedalf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 18:34:30 UTC 2019

Hi Malte,

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 19:00:20 +0200
Malte Wedel <ich at malte.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD 12 on my old PowerBook G4 Titanium. Had to
> boot with disabled Firewire by entering the following on the
> OFW-console
>
> set hint.fwohci.0.disabled=“1”
> set hint.firewire.0.disabled=“1”
> boot
>
> After that installation went through without issues. As there are no
> binary packages for ppc, I installed ports and tried to build
> something, “ld" failed randomly in configure, making it impossible to
> install anything from the ports collection. Calling “ld —version” 50%
> of the time returns the actual version info and 50% of the time it
> returns “Illegal instruction (core dumped)”. Couldn’t install gdb
> either, to gather further information.
>
> I now installed 11.2 instead, where this issue doesn’t occur. Did
> anyone else experience this issue with 12.0? Is there any interest to
> further analyze what is going wrong, and how would I proceed to get
> further information?
>
> Regards,
> Malte

This sounds similar to what I was experiencing on powerpcspe, and fixed
in head.  Can you try a 13.0-CURRENT snapshot from late November?  If
that works fine, then I think I know the change that fixes it, and I
can MFC it.  It probably should be MFC'd anyway, I just forgot to mark
it as such, so let it slip through the cracks.  The change in question
is r340653, so if you're able to apply just that change to 12.0 and
recompile your kernel (even cross-compile), and test it, that should
confirm my thought.

- Justin