FreeBSD 12 on Powerbook G4

Malte Wedel ich at malte.de
Mon Apr 1 17:00:24 UTC 2019

Hello,

I tried to install FreeBSD 12 on my old PowerBook G4 Titanium. Had to boot with disabled Firewire by entering the following on the OFW-console

set hint.fwohci.0.disabled=“1”
set hint.firewire.0.disabled=“1”
boot

After that installation went through without issues. As there are no binary packages for ppc, I installed ports and tried to build something, “ld" failed randomly in configure, making it impossible to install anything from the ports collection. Calling “ld —version” 50% of the time returns the actual version info and 50% of the time it returns “Illegal instruction (core dumped)”. Couldn’t install gdb either, to gather further information.

I now installed 11.2 instead, where this issue doesn’t occur. Did anyone else experience this issue with 12.0? Is there any interest to further analyze what is going wrong, and how would I proceed to get further information?

Regards,
Malte