revision 341104 quite unusable

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu Nov 29 19:16:30 UTC 2018

On 11/29/18 2:32 AM, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2018-Nov-28, at 14:50, Dennis Clarke <dclarke st blastwave.org> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>> Not a problem. As Paul Mather was very cool to point out this old ppc64
>> PowerMac G5 is a tier 2 type platform with tier whenever type real world
>> expectations.  I think a Power9 server is really needed but one step at
>> a time here.
>
> powerpc families are all tier 2, including Power9.

For now at least ;-)

>> . . .
>> OKay well, as I was saying at lung exhaustive length, I have yet to see
>> anything build and boot other than the RC2 dvd.  At least in a natural
>> way.
>

> And you started from a context that was observed to be a problem
> before you even had started (as far as I can tell). If you want
> things to be more likely to work directly, you would back up to
> source vintages from before the problem was observed initially for
> hardware contexts similar to yours.
>
> You could always tackle the later issues later.

I have been working directly from the RC2 install which does boot and
run with a single cpu core.  Then dragging in the src and doing a build
seems to make sense but to skip over all that fuss I can drag down bits
from
https://artifact.ci.freebsd.org/snapshot/head/r341253/powerpc/powerpc64/
and see what happens.

Dennis