revision 341006 quite unusable

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Nov 27 19:50:01 UTC 2018

On 11/27/18 2:28 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 2018-Nov-27, at 01:26, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
>

>> So I did a checkout of revision 341006 and without any changes to make.conf and a trivial "make buildkernel" followed by the requisite
>> "make installkernel" I get a machine with a black screen and entirely
>> quite a warm brick. Loud fans.
>
> Before buildkernel one of the following is needed:
>
> make kernel-toolchain
> or:
> make buildworld

Ah well ... I did go back and try a "make buildworld" and in fact I did
it this way :

root at eris:/usr/src #
root at eris:/usr/src # /usr/bin/time -p make buildworld | tee
../rev341008_buildworld.log
 >>> World build started on Tue Nov 27 09:27:45 UTC 2018

 >>> Rebuilding the temporary build tree
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/powerpc.powerpc64/tmp
.
.
.

objcopy --only-keep-debug ldd32.full ldd32.debug
objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=ldd32.debug  ldd32.full ldd32

 >>> World build completed on Tue Nov 27 16:48:18 UTC 2018
real 26436.93
user 12547.80
sys 13005.84
root at eris:/usr/src #

So that is offensively slow but a gcc bootstrap is far worse. So no
big deal .. I can handle it.

>  From the comments at the beginning of /usr/src/Makfile :
>
> # buildworld          - Rebuild *everything*, including glue to help do
> #                       upgrades.
> . . .
> # kernel-toolchain    - Builds the subset of world necessary to build a kernel

so .. which comes first ?  Or is this an either or situation or do both?

> You did not mention /etc/src.conf ( only /etc/make.conf ). My
> memory is that those files do not exist by default: even to be
> empty they have to be created.

Right ... only /etc/make.conf exists and it was just a "touch
/etc/make.conf" and nothing else.  I really want CFLAGS set as -O0 and
-g and perhaps a few other options to allow debug to be easy. However
for now getting a working compile is step zero.

> -r341006 is from head/ ( not stable/ nor releng/ ) in
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/ . I'm not sure if this
> was intended or not.
>
> (I am currently without access to the FreeBSD environments.)

What?  How is that possible?  Perhaps you are way out on the road
somewhere and I thank you for the reply. I felt like I was flailing
in the dark here and that is a good description.

I may boot the RC2 DVD and then run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskname
and wipe out the first block of cylinders on the disk.  Then try a
reinstall. I am baffled why the DVD boots fine and I get four processors
online and the installed on disk image does not.  That should be quite
impossible.

I may try again wwith an SSD but those are giving no advantage at all.
Even older Patriot SATA 1 compliant 1.5Gbps SSD's are really no better
than a spinning disk.

Dennis