revision 341006 quite unusable

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 19:28:55 UTC 2018

On 2018-Nov-27, at 01:26, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:

> So I did a checkout of revision 341006 and without any changes to make.conf and a trivial "make buildkernel" followed by the requisite
> "make installkernel" I get a machine with a black screen and entirely
> quite a warm brick. Loud fans.

Before buildkernel one of the following is needed:

make kernel-toolchain
or:
make buildworld

From the comments at the beginning of /usr/src/Makfile :

# buildworld          - Rebuild *everything*, including glue to help do
#                       upgrades.
. . .
# kernel-toolchain    - Builds the subset of world necessary to build a kernel

You did not mention /etc/src.conf ( only /etc/make.conf ). My
memory is that those files do not exist by default: even to be
empty they have to be created.

-r341006 is from head/ ( not stable/ nor releng/ ) in
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/ . I'm not sure if this
was intended or not.

(I am currently without access to the FreeBSD environments.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went