these are the sort of things that would fry a new user

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Nov 17 08:56:23 UTC 2018

On 11/17/18 3:46 AM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> On 17. Nov 2018, at 04:34, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> eris# pkg query %t\ %n\ %v\ %o
>> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "pkg"
>> eris#
>>
>> really ?
> Unfortunately, yes. Right now.
>
> During the release process, OpenSSL was upgraded. Not all package builders
> seems to be in sync. Please note that PowerPC is not a Tier 1 platform...

Yep .. regardless I tossed 12.0b3 out an air lock and started over with
rc1.  Building pkg from ports works fine. Seems to. Oddly rc1 still
reports as BETA3 :

eris#
eris# uname -a
FreeBSD eris 12.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 12.0-BETA3 r340039 GENERIC  powerpc

eris# pkg query %t\ %n\ %v\ %o | sort -r
1542444839 dialog4ports 0.1.6 ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
1542444137 pkg 1.10.5_5 ports-mgmt/pkg
eris#

I still am not sure where we stand on the whole kern.smp.disabled issue
  but that is another matter.

> On the constructive side: You can build the port yourself, that works
> without any problems. I have done that on my machines...
>
> I'm sure that once 12.0 is released, the packages provided will be in tune
> with the version.
>
> Not only PowerPC is affected, also some other platforms not being Tier 1.

Yep .. it happens.

Dennis