these are the sort of things that would fry a new user

Michael Tuexen Michael.Tuexen at macmic.franken.de
Sat Nov 17 09:05:03 UTC 2018

> On 17. Nov 2018, at 09:56, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/17/18 3:46 AM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>>> On 17. Nov 2018, at 04:34, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> eris# pkg query %t\ %n\ %v\ %o
>>> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "pkg"
>>> eris#
>>>
>>> really ?
>> Unfortunately, yes. Right now.
>> During the release process, OpenSSL was upgraded. Not all package builders
>> seems to be in sync. Please note that PowerPC is not a Tier 1 platform...
>
> Yep .. regardless I tossed 12.0b3 out an air lock and started over with
> rc1.  Building pkg from ports works fine. Seems to. Oddly rc1 still
> reports as BETA3 :
>
> eris#
> eris# uname -a
> FreeBSD eris 12.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 12.0-BETA3 r340039 GENERIC  powerpc
That revision is beta3:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/340039

Are you sure you installed the RC1 image?

> eris# pkg query %t\ %n\ %v\ %o | sort -r
> 1542444839 dialog4ports 0.1.6 ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
> 1542444137 pkg 1.10.5_5 ports-mgmt/pkg
> eris#
>
> I still am not sure where we stand on the whole kern.smp.disabled issue
> but that is another matter.
As I reported earlier:
Disabling SMP with head gives a system behaving nicely. Enabling SMP and
reverting r334498 gives me a usable system, with two limitation I observed
so far:
1. After a while the fans get louder. Running sysctl -a dev.fcu.0
   gets them down again. After a while they will start to get
   louder again.

2. When shutting down the system,
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufdaemon' to stop...
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to stop...
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-0' to stop...
   times out.

Best regards
Michael