after running the installer on a PowerMac G5 no root filesystem found

Michael Tuexen Michael.Tuexen at macmic.franken.de
Thu Nov 15 20:05:49 UTC 2018

> On 14. Nov 2018, at 18:02, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:52:45 -0500
> Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
>
>> <snip>

>>> I meant /boot/loader.conf.
>>
>> To do that at all I would need to be able to get to the root
>> filesystem.
>
> You can do it at the loader.
>
> set kern.smp.disabled=1
> boot

>> So FreeBSD can not run on ye old IBM PPC970 units with multiple cores
>> or multiple sockets?  That sounds like a critical bug.
>
> It could until recently, due to my fault.  I can revert the change that
> caused it, but haven't yet, because I don't understand why it's causing
> the problem.  And I'm pretty confident it's not causing the mountroot
> issue (though, I was pretty confident it wouldn't cause any problem
> anyway, but that turned out to be false confidence).
OK, I did some testing. Reverting r334498 and not disabling smp results
in a usable, stable system. However, there are two things I observed that
are not working as good as with disabling smp:

1. After a while the fans get louder. Running sysctl -a dev.fcu.0
   gets them down again. After a while they will start to get
   louder again.
   When SMP is disabled, this is not an issue.

2. When shutting down the system,
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufdaemon' to stop...
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to stop...
   Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-0' to stop...
   times out.
   This is also not an issue when SMP is disabled.

So there are some issue with SMP even when reverting r334498.

Please let me know if you need more information or if you want me
to do any kind of testing.

Best regards
Michael