Playback and volume (Was: Re: Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4)

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 24 12:51:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 06:50:29PM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Sound works but it lacks a 'visible' codec.  In the device tree there is
> no codec mentioned.  It has a simple DAC called toonie.  And the driver
> for this is missing.  If the codec is missing, the mixer device is also
> missing.

Indeed: kldload'ing snd_ai2s.ko allowed me to play an MP3 file with mpg123.
Albeit at full volume, which kind of sucks.  Is there way to control volume
without mixer device?

Plugging headphones properly muted the speaker, which is nice.

./danfe