Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Wed Jan 22 18:19:58 UTC 2014

On 22.01.14 17:25, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:33:23 +0000
> Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> Fourth question is of less importance, but still.  In
>> powerpc/GENERIC, I see this sound support section:
>>
>>   device          sound           # Generic sound driver (required)
>>   device          snd_ai2s        # Apple I2S audio
>>   device          snd_davbus      # Apple DAVBUS audio
>>   device          snd_uaudio      # USB Audio
>>
>> But nonetheless:
>>
>>   $ mixer
>>   mixer: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory
>>
>> Is internal sound card supported?  If yes, which module should I load?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ./danfe
>
> Can you drop the output of 'ofwdump -ap' somewhere (freefall?) and I
> can take a look at it.  Internal sound on most PowerPC Apple hardware
> is supported, I'm curious why yours isn't.

Sound works but it lacks a 'visible' codec. In the device tree there is
no codec mentioned. It has a simple DAC called toonie. And the driver
for this is missing.

If the codec is missing, the mixer device is also missing.

It is enough when you have:

device          sound           # Generic sound driver (required)
device          snd_ai2s        # Apple I2S audio

If you have an external USB gadget then you can use snd_audio.
Works fine with low-cost (high-quality) usb-ad/da.

Andreas