Screamer and Tumbler and Snapper Audio drivers in -STABLE

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Mon Feb 9 07:08:57 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 08:59 -0600, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:

> > Also, I'm of the understanding you fixed an issue where syscons wasn't
> > redrawn after exiting X on powerpc? May I ask where that code is? (I
> > frequently drop out of X)
> >
> ofw_syscons.c. It doesn't always work, but it at least works on some
> Radeon cards. I believe having it work everywhere will require a
> device-specific framebuffer driver.

I'm using a Rage 128 Pro, but theoretically it would work, given the
Radeon shares the common platform :\

I'll grab the latest ofw_syscons.c - does it depend on any other kernel
stuff that's not in 7-STABLE that you know of?

> > Is ATA DMA suitable for everyday use yet? (not production use) I'd love
> > to run that in this kernel too.
>
> I haven't had enough feedback to determine, which is why the MFC has
> been held up. There were a couple of bug reports which were somewhat
> vague, but I haven't really heard much. I know it works for me, at least.
> -Nathan

Well that's always helpful to know :)

Where can I grab the source, and how do you recommend it be applied? :)

Also is there any way I can force the kernel to compile with certain
CFLAGS short of literally editing the Makefiles ? ( I know the kernel
strips out insane flags ) -  if I set CPUTYPE to 7400 i _will_ get an
inoperable kernel because gcc WILL assume altivec ... i need to either
force -mno-altivec or use a lower cputype like 750 (G3) .... mmmm ...