If it's broke, where's fixit?

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Sat Nov 8 13:29:51 PST 2008

Hallo Horst,

Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:

> I just made a few configurative screwups. Ones which are stopping the
> system from booting.
>
> (lol, i stuffed up an fstab entry)
>
> Once the boot process attempts to drop into single-user mode, it outputs
> the following error every thirty seconds before being arrested by a
> Ctrl-Alt-Delete forcing the machine down :
>
> bsdbox init: can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal: Operation
> not permitted
>
> ... Is there a fixit image for ppc? If not, why not? If yes, where?
> Also if not, what can be recommended to get me a working fbsd live
> system for just long enough to fix the REAL one?

I do not know about a 'fixit' image. But I recently had a similar issue
where I ended up in installing the whole dist from scratch again.
Not that bad, I'm working with fbsd sitting on a fw (firewire) disk, not
on the internal one. I screwed one disk and I was not able to get it
back. So I took a new fw disk, did it again and now I can play. But I
was not able to resurect the first fw disk so far, I guess it might be
due to fw issues. I chained them together but I was not able to access
the bad disk.

But, the idea you might try is to install a minimal fbsd installation on
a second disk, might be fw, and boot from there and resurect the bad
entry in fstab.

Regards,
Andreas