pdisk, ofctl and yaboot

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 27 16:14:49 UTC 2008

Hi Niels,

> Hi guys
> a couple of minor questions......
>
> 1. Where do I find "pdisk" for FreeBSD ?

  Not there. It's easy enough to build it from NetBSD source (looks like
you've done that). Now that gpart is in the tree, there should be no
need for pdisk (at least in CURRENT).

> 2. Where do I find "ofctl" for FreeBSD ?

  It's eeprom(8) on FreeBSD.

> 3. Anyone that knows how to integrate the Open Firmware parameters for
> FreeBSD with yaboot ?

  At one point the loader's load address conflicted with yaboot. This
may not be the case anymore - it's been a very long time since I looked
at it. But in theory the loader could be booted from yaboot.

> If only FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD (all macppc) could agree upon how to
> integrate with yaboot... alternatively find one unified boot-sequence...
> life would be so much easier ....

  Might be a bit late for that :(

later,

Peter.