Trying to boot FBSD on g3 B&W

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 26 20:44:58 UTC 2006

Hi Soeren,

>> Yep, it's not supported. I used an Intel fxp in one of the PCI slots:
>>works fine.
>
> Would any PC PCI nic work? That is supported by FreeBSD i386.

  Not necessarily, since they may not have had the required changes to
support big-endian. Any PCI NIC that works on sparc64 will work on ppc.

> Hmm after a short look at those files, it looks like they haven't been
> changed between 200608 and 200610.
> Where does the boot sector for the iso live?

  On Macs there isn't really a boot sector. CDs are created in hybrid
HFS/ISO9660 format to allow the 'C' autoboot, but you can manually boot
a stock iso9660 disk from the ofw prompt.

> Has the way the install cds are created changed?

  Shouldn't have, though Marcel built the last two snapshots. I
successfully 'C'-booted the most recent one on a powerbook though I
haven't tried on any other systems.

later,

Peter.