Minor issues of time on PPC

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 20 02:14:38 GMT 2005

> I find that if I boot into MacOS, and open up the date&time control
> panel there to force a reset of the time, then the time will be
> within a quarter-second of the correct time when I then reboot back
> into FreeBSD.  So it seems that MacOS knows to set something in the
> (firmware|PRAM) that FreeBSD isn't setting?

  Yeh, I agree, timekeeping isn't going to be that great on FreeBSD/PPC
at the moment.

  OpenFirmware is used to read the RTC, but it's never written back: any
attempt by NTP to set the time is silently ignored.

  This will be fixed when the external PMU is accessed directly (needed
for notebook kbd/trackpad access), so the time can actually be set.

later,

Peter.