Making a port to use OpenSSL of ports collection on FreeBSD 11.x

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Wed May 5 16:55:52 UTC 2021

Am 05.05.21 um 18:00 schrieb Yasuhiro Kimura:
> You misunderstand my intention. What I would like to do is to make a
> port use security/openssl instead of base OpenSSL even if user sets
> 'DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=base' in /etc/make.conf (or user doesn't
> customize setting about ssl at all).

You can mark the port as broken if the user has selected "base" and
this is incompatible with the port's requirements. E.g.:

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

.if ${SSL_DEFAULT} == base
BROKEN_FreeBSD_11=      OpenSSL 1.1 required
.endif

.include <bsd.port.post.mk>

You can of course add a better message, and the user can decide to
try the compilation again after changing the default. But this will
of course prevent the building of official packages for FreeBSD-11.

> As I wrote previous mail, if 'USES=python:3.8+' is specified in
> Makefile of a port, lang/python38 is used for the port event if user
> adds 'DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=3.7' in /etc/make.conf. I'm looking for
> similar way about ssl setting.

You could add a dependency on the openssl port and make sure, that
the port's include file and library is used in preference of the
base version on FreeBSD-11.

But you have to consider the risk of mixing references to the base and
the ports version in one binary (e.g. other libraries are linked in that
had been built against the base version).

Regards, STefan