Making a port to use OpenSSL of ports collection on FreeBSD 11.x

Yasuhiro Kimura yasu at utahime.org
Wed May 5 16:01:00 UTC 2021

From: Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de>
Subject: Re: Making a port to use OpenSSL of ports collection on FreeBSD 11.x
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 17:32:02 +0200

> Which port are you talking about by the way?
>
> This worked for me just fine in the past (placed in make.conf):
>
>   DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=libressl
>
> for LibreSSL and
>
>   DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
>
> for openssl from ports.
>
> See also:
>
> $ head -n12 /usr/ports/Mk/Uses/ssl.mk
> # Handle dependency on *ssl ports.
> #
> # Feature:      SSL_DEFAULT
> # Usage:        USES=ssl
> # Valid ARGS:   none (build and run), build, run
> #
> # The user can choose which ssl library he wants with:
> #
> # DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=    ssl=<openssl variant>
> #
> # Variants being base, openssl, libressl, and libressl-devel.
> #
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

You misunderstand my intention. What I would like to do is to make a
port use security/openssl instead of base OpenSSL even if user sets
'DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=base' in /etc/make.conf (or user doesn't
customize setting about ssl at all).

As I wrote previous mail, if 'USES=python:3.8+' is specified in
Makefile of a port, lang/python38 is used for the port event if user
adds 'DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=3.7' in /etc/make.conf. I'm looking for
similar way about ssl setting.

---
Yasuhiro Kimura