Python 2.7 removal outline

Guillermo Hernandez (Oldno7) guillermo at QuerySoft.es
Thu Mar 25 07:09:30 UTC 2021

On 24/3/21 22:50, Dan Mahoney (Ports) wrote:
 > There are packages for mailman3 but they’re incomplete and don’t
result in a working install the way the 2.x build does.  You also need
mysql, django, etc etc.

 > Needing django is almost as bad as saying “sure, the web UI depends
on WordPress”.  It’s not standalone cgi’s that you can just scriptalias
in to apache, and the documentation leaves a lot fo be desired.

 > I’ve been in touch with Mark Sapiro (current maintainer of mailman
2.x, limping along in critical-patches-only mode) and 3.x, and have
other friends on the maint team.  Mark has committed to making some time
to make 3.x work as simply as 2.x does, as it lowers his support load.

 > At some point, I want to sit down with the code and come up with a
“okay, if a port doesn’t provide this, here’s at least a howto”.

There is a thread in forums.freebsd.org with a detailed implementation
of successful cases of transiting from mailman2 to mailman3 in freebsd,
but all of them outside the ports infrastructure for the main apps
(using pip):

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/mailman-3.61050/