Python 2.7 removal outline

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Mar 24 22:09:40 UTC 2021

Am 24.03.21 um 14:03 schrieb Rene Ladan:
> Hi,
>
> below is an outline continuing the Python 2.7 cleanup:
>
> - No usage of lang/tauthon by the framework or any port, no excuses.
> - lang/tauthon will be removed on 2021-06-23 as noticed in the port
> itself,
>   no excuses. Tauthon is not guaranteed to be compatible with any official
>   Python version so keeping it would just unnecessarily complicate things.
> - mail/mailman is being replaced by clusteradm@  with mlmmj. You can use
>   `pkg lock` to stick with it after removal, if there is no other way.
> - you are of course free to provide your own version of Python 2.7,
> Tauthon
>   and any application using those languages in your local setup, by using
>   overlays for example.

Rene,

I am sorry to say that this is appalling

* Why do you badmouth Tauthon as "not guaranteed to be compatible..." if
that is its very design goal?

  - "Tauthon is a backwards-compatible fork of the Python 2.7.18
interpreter with new syntax, builtins, and libraries backported from
Python 3.x. Python code and C-extensions targeting Python 2.7 or below
are expected to run unmodified on Tauthon and produce the same output."
<https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon>

* What do you mean that "Tauthon [...] would unnecessarily complicate
things"? What things specifically, and how?

It might be a migration path to a maintained interpreter (we need
nothing more, no fancy developments, to keep other ports in maintenance
mode with a security update now and then, going).

What other Python 2.x compatible interpreter would you propose instead
of Tauthon?

* Why, other than based on your false claims, is Tauthon being removed?

* Why, other than based on your false claims, is Tauthon being rejected?

* Why does anyone think that clusteradm@'s removal of ONE instance of
mailman 2 by some unmaintained (*) software is a justification to ditch
mailman 2?

* Why do you mislead people on "you are of course free to provide you
own version of <whatever>" when at the same time you threaten to remove
other ports.

While I am certainly fine with "no new Python 2 ports permitted", the
refusal of Tauthon certainly warrants justification.

(*) release frequency was abused as argument against mailman 2 - only
that since the latest mlmmj release, there have been eleven mailman 2.1
releases.