[HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Aug 13 01:27:31 UTC 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, Robert Huff wrote:

>>  There are many users who never create any patches, but simply use the
>>  ports tree to install software.
>
> Add my name to that list.

Mine too; this is a great way to drive "ordinary users" away from FreeBSD
and towards, gasp, Penguin/OS...

I took up FreeBSD when BSD/OS was shut down by WinDriver and found that
the OpenBSD bods weren't too friendly towards newbies; the Mac is now my
major system (with porting attempts to FreeBSD and Penguin, then back).
Well, at least it has FreeBSD roots...

> (Used to use cvsup ... now subversion ... soon git ... where will
> the insanity end?   :-) )

Hah!  I started with SCCS :-)  Before that we had an in-house system
called SLUP (Source Line Update Program?  This was in the 70s, and was
based upon that canonical example of diff/ed).

-- Dave