amdgpu panics

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Mon Apr 6 22:08:05 UTC 2020

On 06/04/2020 09:25, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 2020-04-06 11:19, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>>
>> Of course I can recompile the kernel and world using GENERIC kernel
>> config, that at least would compile all modules that aren't normally
>> compiled with GENERIC.
>
> I just want to rule out some things, so if you can try this manually
> would be great.

Did that just now. Compiled world and GENERIC kernel on my build host,
installed on the desktop through FreeBSD-base packages, reinstalled all
kmod packages.

Once more

kldload /boot/modules/drm.ko /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko

consistently and reliably halts the system. I noticed that it happens
just after vega10_vce.ko is loaded, probably at the moment when the
screen is supposed to be switched to the amdgpu framebuffer. There is no
panic, the screen goes blank and after a while monitor goes to sleep.

Is it possible to at least gather some debug info where this happens? I
don't think there is any core dumped if the system doesn't panic?

I might be able to recompile everything with 12.1-STABLE instead of
12.1-RELEASE-p3 but that might take a while so preferably would like to
try what's possible before embarking on that adventure.

GrzegorzJ